Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Some "Not Pink"

But first, some Pink:




Yes, finally wove in the rest of those ends. The morning of the baby shower, would you believe it? (Of course you would.)

Decided to go with a crochet edging (simple) and no lining on the back (even simpler).

So, that (along with the other stuff I've shown you before) was the pink.

I said before that the big non-pink thing was just not going to be ready.

The universe confirmed that it wasn't "just me" and my slow knitting pace -- I was also unable to (quickly) find the right zipper.

So that whole thing might be on hold for a while again.

"Plan B" was shoes and a hat. That went really quickly, despite the small gauge I ultimately settled on. Yeah, yeah, I know I said I wasn't going to do anything with a small gauge, but that Rowan 4-ply cotton was right there. Took far less than one ball of each shade.




Shoes are "Stripey Shoes" from 50 Baby Booties to Knit.




Let me tell you that people are way more impressed by knitted baby shoes than you'd think, given the amount of time it takes to make them.

The only part that took much more than an instant was the bit in the middle -- you know, the really important part of any knitting project (absolutely can't be skipped!) when you refuse to weave in the ends and sew the seams.

That part took me days.

(I feel it is very important to not skimp on this step. Never skimp on procrastination or on frosting.)

The hat was just made up: Cast-on some stitches, went round and round, decreased at what seemed like an appropriate time, ended with an I-cord. Knotted the I-cord. Decided it needed something more, so added a do-hickey from Knitted Flowers. (If it is important to anyone, I can probably scare up the wherewithal to actually write "how to make this hat" out in pattern form.)

Never did I-cord before.




I like it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE that hat and shoes... they are just adorable. That is one lucky baby! Would look nice with Pink edging too wouldn't they? ;-)

10:26 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

The hat and shoes are adorable. I like the colors and that daisy is the perfect touch!

Ang

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think most people are just gaga over how tiny they are. My mother usually makes leather moccasins for any babies that come along and the recipient parents and friends all go googly-eyed. Mum just tends to look confused turn to me and say in an undertone "But they're so easy."

Lovely hat and booties!

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home